Friday, March 7, 2014
So I had the pleasure of watching ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE a couple nights back and I must admit, this is probably my favorite film by JIM JARMUSCH to date...
Everything in this romantic vampire flick is simply bad-ass, from the phenomenal score provided by SQÜRL and JOZEF VAN WISSEM to the wonderful use of cities like Detroit and Tangier as the story's backdrop... Even the genius casting of TILDA SWINTON and TOM HIDDLESTON is spot-on, including a much-welcomed appearance by the great MIA WASIKOWSKA... To top it all off, the original screenplay by JARMUSCH is brimming with plenty of coolness and humor...
Pardon the pun, but it's got mad bite... Hitting theaters April 11th, you can peep this newly released trailer below...
Thursday, March 6, 2014
This new film ENEMY opens in theaters next week and once again pairs JAKE GYLLENHAAL with DENIS VILLENEUVE, the talented Canadian director behind last year's highly-underrated thriller PRISONERS...
Also starring the lovely MÉLANIE LAURENT and Dorothy Vallens herself, ISABELLA ROSSELLINI, your nether regions might start tingling after viewing this saucy teaser trailer, which boasts it's fair share of suspense and plenty of glorious ta-tas...
Sunday, February 2, 2014
Heart-breaking news today that beloved actor PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN has died at the age of 46 from an apparent drug overdose... As there are far too many memorable roles in this man's impressive film resumé to mention, I just wanted to pay my respects and state the obvious that all of his brilliant performances will surely be cherished for years to come...
PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN - R.I.P.
July 23, 1967 - February 2, 2014
Saturday, January 25, 2014
Better late than never, I s'pose... Here is my third (and final) list celebrating THE BEST OF 2013 and it took me a little bit longer because I wanted to catch up on many of the year-end releases... Wasn't always easy though, what with those obnoxious holiday interruptions and of course life-threatening polar vortexes...
But here we are, my personal choices for THE BEST FILMS OF 2013...
12 YEARS A SLAVE (dir. STEVE McQUEEN)
THE WOLF OF WALL STREET (dir. MARTIN SCORSESE)
AMERICAN HUSTLE (dir. DAVID O. RUSSELL)
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS (dir. JOEL & ETHAN COEN)
DALLAS BUYERS CLUB (dir. JEAN-MARC VALLÉE)
STOKER (dir. CHAN-WOOK PARK)
HER (dir. SPIKE JONZE)
PRISONERS (dir. DENIS VILLENEUVE)
OUT OF THE FURNACE (dir. SCOTT COOPER)
SPRING BREAKERS (dir. HARMONY KORINE)
BLUE JASMINE (dir. WOODY ALLEN)
GRAVITY (dir. ALFONSO CUARÓN)
DEAD MAN DOWN (dir. NIELS ARDEN OPLEV)
THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES (dir. DEREK CIANFRANCE)
ONLY GOD FORGIVES (dir. NICOLAS WINDING REFN)
DON JON (dir. JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT)
AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS (dir. DAVID LOWERY)
SIDE EFFECTS (dir. STEVEN SODERBERGH)
BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR (dir. ABDELLATIF KECHICHE)
THE BLING RING (dir. SOFIA COPPOLA)
Uhhhhhh, that's all folks!!!!
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
I probably won't post my picks for favorite films of 2013 until I get a chance to see a few more movies, so until then here is my second (and final) music list and it's simply being called: (THE REST OF...) THE BEST ALBUMS OF 2013
20) EMIKA "DVA" (NINJA TUNE)
19) UMBERTO "Confrontations" (NOT NOT FUN)
18) ZOMES "Time Was" (THRILL JOCKEY)
17) WIRE "Change Becomes Us" (PINK FLAG)
16) MATTHEW E. WHITE "Outer Face EP" (DOMINO RECORDINGS)
15) KEN CAMDEN "Space Mirror" (KRANKY)
14) JUANA MOLINA "Wed 21" (CRAMMED DISCS)
13) DARKSIDE "Psychic" (MATADOR RECORDS)
12) AHNNU "Battered Sphinx" (NNA TAPES)
11) MIKE PATTON "The Place Beyond the Pines (Soundtrack)" (MILAN)
10) BURIAL "Rival Dealer EP" (HYPERDUB)
9) KÖLSCH "1977" (KOMPAKT)
8) DAVID LYNCH "The Big Dream" (SACRED BONES)
7) L. PIERRE "The Island Come True" (MELODIC)
6) DISAPPEARS "Era" (KRANKY)
5) JAMES BLAKE "Overgrown" (ATLAS RECORDS/A&M)
4) MAJICAL CLOUDZ "Impersonator" (MATADOR RECORDS)
3) TRICKY "False Idols" (K7)
2) GIRLS NAMES "The New Life" (SLUMBERLAND RECORDS)
1) DEAN BLUNT "The Redeemer" (HIPPOS IN TANKS)
HONORABLE MENTIONS & STRONG CONTENDERS
CHELSEA WOLFE "Pain Is Beauty" (SARGENT HOUSE)
CLIFF MARTINEZ "Only God Forgives (Soundtrack)" (MILAN)
COLIN STETSON "New History Warfare, Vol. 3" (CONSTELLATION)
DIRTY BEACHES "Drifters/ Love Is the Devil" (ZOO MUSIC)
IMPLODES "Recurring Dream" (KRANKY)
ONEOHTRIX POINT NEVER "R Plus Seven" (WARP RECORDS)
SALEM "G O O D B Y E" (BANDCAMP)
THE STRANGER "Watching Dead Empires In Decay" (MODERN LOVE)
TROPIC OF CANCER "Restless Idylls" (BLACKEST EVER BLACK)
ZOMBY "With Love" (4AD)
Sunday, December 15, 2013
Greetings folks!!! Five months have passed since my last post, so it's fairly safe to say that I've decided to bow out in regards to blogging... Therefore, it only feels right that I finish things off here with my three year-end lists celebrating my favorite releases in music and film for 2013... Here's the first of said lists, my very own picks for THE BEST HIP HOP/R&B ALBUMS OF 2013...
15) EXPRESS RISING "Express Rising 2" (Reissue) (NUMERO GROUP)
***missed this first time around, but these beats sound remarkably phresh***
14) THE LONELY ISLAND "The Wack Album" (UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC)
13) COCAINE 80s "The Flower of Life EP" (SELF-RELEASED)
12) PERERA ELSEWHERE "Everlast" (FRIENDS OF FRIENDS)
***debatable which genre to place in, but welcomed on most R&B mixes***
11) TYLER, THE CREATOR "Wolf" (ODD FUTURE/SONY)
10) WILLIS EARL BEAL "Nobody Knows" (XL)
***sooo fucking soulful I had to lump this beauty in with the other R&B gems***
9) DANNY BROWN "Old" (FOOL'S GOLD RECORDS)
8) BEYONCÉ "Beyoncé" (COLUMBIA RECORDS)
7) R. KELLY "Black Panties" (RCA)
6) ZEBRA KATZ "DRKLNG EP" (ZEBRA TRACKZ)
5) THE WEEKND "Kiss Land" (REPUBLIC/XO)
4) GHOSTFACE KILLAH & ADRIAN YOUNGE "Twelve Reasons to Die" (SOUL TEMPLE)
3) EARL SWEATSHIRT "Doris" (COLUMBIA)
2) CHANCE THE RAPPER "Acid Rap" (SELF-RELEASED)
1) KANYE WEST "Yeezus" (ROC-A-FELLA/DEF JAM)